Please install the latest version of Adobe Flash®. Click here to download Flash now.
S.O.T.T.C - JOIN NOW !
The Sit-on-Top Touring Club was set up in March 2011 by a group of people who enjoyed paddling together the previous year.
Trips are planned monthly during the spring and summer.
To keep numbers manageable, the club is limited to customers of ‘Kayaks at Mike the Bike/Kayak Shack’
Benefits of Membership
Membership provides opportunities to enjoy -
- sit-on-top kayak touring trips with a Club
- the social side of paddling
- the local environment and wildlife
- improving your kayaking skills
Club Membership also includes CANI Affiliated Membership, with the following benefits -
- Third party insurance cover
- CANI recreational paddles – free or at a reduced rate
The above videos are of our longest paddles in 2011. In 2012 we aim to do shorter trips at the start of the year progressing to longer trips.
In 2012, we have enjoyed a number of camping trips, one being to Coney Island, Lough Neagh. This a a beautifully kept island, thanks to Peter, the Warden, who made us so welcome and thrilled us all with his stories about its history and wildlife. We would heartily recommend the island as a great spot for camping. Thanks Peter, for making our stay so enjoyable - you help make Coney Island a very special place and we hope to be back again soon :)
Click here for info re Lough Neagh Canoe Trail and camping on Coney Island
Photos of 3 other club trips in 2012 can be found on the 'Strangford Lough' page of this website.
Eligibility for Membership
Persons who fulfil the criteria below are eligible to apply for membership -
- Persons who have purchased a kayak from ‘Kayaks at Mike the Bike / Kayak Shack’. These persons’ family members may be eligible to join, at the discretion of the General Committee.
- Persons who have a level of skill and fitness suitable for undertaking touring trips on a sit-on-top kayak.
- Persons who undertake to behave in the best interest of the Club.
After the completion of 2 trial trips, a person may apply for membership - please complete Club Membership Application Form. Applications for membership must be approved by the committee.
Click here to download booking form for a trial trip and for recommended paddling kit for trial trip.
Also, please read club flyer - which answers common questions about the Sit-on-Top Touring Club.
Adult - 18 years or over on first day of January of current calendar year - £25.00 (£8 of this fee is for CANI Affiliated Membership)
Junior - Under the age of 18 on first day of January of current calendar year - £15.00 (£5 of this fee is for CANI Affiliated Membership)
For more information please contact Gary Harkness
Tel 028 91 811311 during shop hours or
email Club Secretary, Julie Harkness email@example.com